Department I Spatial Planning and Urban Development
Mgt.: Dr. Markus Eltges
Office management: Gertrud Ziegenhals, phone +49 228 99401-2001
Department I performs information, research and technical consultancy tasks for the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB), for the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) and other departments in the policy areas of spatial planning / spatial development and city planning / city development.
The core tasks of the department are:
- Operation of a spatial information system for current observation and evaluation of spatial and city development and as a basis for continual reporting about spatial development
- Preparing spatial planning and city development reports
- Contributions to reports of the BMUB in the context of the environment and sustainability
- Technical consultancy to the BMUB, BMVI and other departments regarding developments in policy, economics and society which are relevant to spatial planning and city development policy
- Technical support for the international cooperation in the area of spatial planning / spatial development, including the management of corresponding programmes and institutions, e.g. INTERREG, URBACT and OECD
- Management and evaluation of the departmental research of the BMUB and BMVI in the areas of city planning / city development and spatial planning / spatial development (general departmental research, experimental housing and city construction, national urban development policy, Baukultur, research in the context of urban development grants, model approach to spatial planning).
- Results transfer in policy and practice through cooperation in relevant committees, organising events and producing publications in the fields of city development and spatial planning.
These core tasks are carried out in seven departments, which have set up as technical centres of responsibility and competence. The current focuses and projects are determined in an annual working programme in consultation with the BMUB and BMVI.
- Division I 1: Spatial Development
- Division I 2: Urban Development
- Division I 3: European Spatial and Urban Development
- Division I 4: Urban Development Grants, Social Urban Development
- Division I 5: Digital Cities, Risk Prevention and Transportation
- Division I 6: Urban, Environmental and Spatial Monitoring
- Division I 7: Baukultur and Urban Architectural Conservation
For the implementation and backing of the programmes "Promotion of Investments in National Urban Development Projects" and "Rehabilitation of Municipal Facilities in the Sector Sport, Youth and Culture" the project group "Future Investment Programme" (ZIP) was established.
- Project group ZIP: Future Investment Programme