Transnational cooperation in the field of spatial development
Removing economic, social and spatial differences and promoting the coalescence of Europe - these are the objectives of INTERREG. In the European Union as well, the "European Territorial Cooperation" concept has become a focal point of spatial development and is being supported from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). Transnational cooperation in cross-national cooperation areas, as promoted by INTERREG Strand B, is an important aspect here.
The Federal Institute for Research on Building, Urban Affairs and Spatial Development (BBSR) within the Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning (BBR) supports this transnational cooperation by
- participating in the development of joint programmes in the cooperation areas,
- steering the programmes in the context of transnational and German committees,
- supporting key projects of special interest to the Federal Government,
- supporting transnational cooperation activities,
- transferring results and running public relations,
- participating in selected projects (e.g. VASAB).
The Federal Government also supports participation in joint transnational projects. In the context of the Federal Transnational Cooperation Programme (>> more information), the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community and the BBSR support partners from Germany in raising national cofinancing, in developing project applications and running effective public relations work.
For detailed information on the Federal Transnational Cooperation Programme, please see the INTERREG B website: